Woman, 65, left in coma after her ‘spiteful’ Siamese cat scratched her

A grandmother had to spend over six weeks in hospital due to a scratch from her pet cat. Shirley Hair, 65, almost died when she developed sepsis, septic shock, organ failure, pneumonia and Necrotizing fasciitis.

The grandmother-of-five didn’t connect her symptoms to the scratch from Chan, her ‘spiteful’ Siamese, at first. She felt dizzy, had muscle aches and had lost her appetite but thought it could be due to the flu.

When the gash turned bright red and a rash spread from her hand up to her arm, she realised what started the problems.

She was rushed to Southmead Hospital in Bristol, where doctors performed emergency surgery to remove the infected tissue. Open Next Page To See More …